Vim and the navigating with arrow keys

Randall R Schulz rschulz@sonic.net
Tue Jun 10 13:41:00 GMT 2003

Brian,

At 06:27 2003-06-10, Brian.Kelly@empireblue.com wrote:
>"True Vim'ers DO NOT navigate with arrow keys". I remember reading
>that somewhere. Certainly the "correct" way to navigate in Vim is with
>the  H  J  K  and  L  keys. Understood, acknowledged, yaddy yadda
>yaaa. That said - I "like" to use the arrow keys. It's habitual and
>something I've been doing for years and years. And like most folks, I
>"resist" change. Therefore, I'm a little "disturbed" that the latest
>Vim appears to have completely disabled the arrow keys for navigation,
>or even for mapping.

You are mistaken. Arrow keys are working fine in:

   VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Jun  1 2003 19:49:13)

If arrow keys are not functioning for you in Vim, the problem is not
Vim itself.

>Is this a "planned" and permanent new condition?? The previous
>version  6.1-300 still has arrow keys enabled, but 6.2-1 does not - or
>so it appears. Now I do note, the navigating appears much more precise
>and improved with 6.2-1, no more having to do CTRL-L's to refresh the
>screen after navigating small text files. (Which was a bother). I
>don't use RXVT, but bash in a cmd shell.

What TERM setting are you using? I have always found Vim to be
virtually flawless in screen maintenance with TERM=cygwin under the
Cygwin console-based terminal emulation.

>I'm a minimalist at heart and try to use native and ubiquitous
>utilities to the greatest extent possible - which is why I long ago
>chose Vi as my primary editor. Because it's "everywhere", especially
>in UNIX, I'm never without "my" editor. Anyhow, I'd just to like to
>know if anyone else has noticed this, cares, or knows something about
>it. I can of course live without arrows, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

We're all deeply caring people here, even if a bit mean.

Randall Schulz