Why is patch(1) asking for the file names already given?

Constantine cnst@rbcmail.ru
Tue Jun 3 05:59:00 GMT 2003

Hello!

I am trying to apply a patch I made for myself. When I am running the
patch(1) utility, I am always being asked to type in the file name to a
file that needs to be patched. My diff file contains a diff on a few
files, and this is my dialogue with the patch(1):

--- my quote start ---
 >patch --ignore-whitespace -p0 -i US-GB.nohtml.diff
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -b -B --exclude='*.*htm*' -r en-US/.jar/autoconfig/contents.rdf
en-GB/.jar/autoconfig/contents.rdf
--------------------------
File to patch: en-GB/.jar/autoconfig/contents.rdf
patching file en-GB/.jar/autoconfig/contents.rdf
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] y
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -b -B --exclude='*.*htm*' -r
en-US/.jar/communicator/bookmarks/addBookmark.dtd
en-GB/.jar/communicator/bookmarks/addBookmark.dtd
File to patch:
--- my quote end ---

and so on. As one can see, I have to re-type the filename just in the
same manner as it was printed by patch(1), before the patch can be
applied. How can I make the patch(1) utility not to ask for the name,
but to find it from the diff file? Thanks.

Cheers,
Constantine.