Source code for binaries offered at http://thinstall.com/ ?

Carlo Florendo carlo@astra.ph
Tue Jul 29 05:59:00 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon A. Lambert"

> From: "Carlo Florendo" <carlo@astra.ph>
> > From: "Jonathan Clark" <jclark@jitit.com>
> > Subject: RE: Source code for binaries offered at http://thinstall.com/ ?
> >
> > > Hello Max,
> > >
> > > This is a good point.  I have the source downloaded and in backups somewhere
> > > around here - so it can be located if needed.  While I'm in the process of
> > > putting together a new archive that contains more GPL disclaimers (and more
> > > utilities), I wish to be in compliance by offering a CDROM for those that
> > > desire it.
> > >
> > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#SourceAndBinaryOnDifferentSites
> >

> GPL
>  3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
> under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
> Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
> b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
>     years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
>     cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
>     machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
>     distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
>     customarily used for software interchange;
>
> I would think offering a CD with the exact same source that was used to produce
> the binaries would be sufficient.

Distributing the source with the corresponding binaries is not only sufficient but necessary.  However, it is not sufficient to have
the source and binaries in the CD but not in the website.

cgf would not like more discussions with his favorite topic http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg00086.html.  I think we've made
the point clear to Mr. Clark already.

Thanks.

Best Regards,