Erroneous complaint about being unable to run emacs

martin cohen mjc_q@yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 16:50:00 GMT 2003

I recently started a thread here with the following
message:

>I installed cygwin in my D: partition under Win XP.
>Running startx results in the usual screen and the
>3 windows. However, when I type in my usual
>"emacs . &", I get this
>
>emacs: cannot connect to X server :0.0.
>Check the DISPLAY evironment variable or use '-d'.
>Also use the 'xhost' program to verify that it is set
>to permit connections from your machine.
>
>When I enter "xhost +", I get this
>
>xhost: unable to open display ":0.0"

The reason for this is that my McAfee firewall was
set (due to my mistake) to not allow emacs to access the
internat. This caused the failure above.

I do not know why emacs (and other applications, such as
xclock) need to access the internet, but allowing them to
allows them to run.

My apologies for wasting the time of those who generously
tried to help me.

Martin Cohen