How to resolve a link?

Randall R Schulz rschulz@sonic.net
Wed Jul 23 04:26:00 GMT 2003

Chris,

At 18:29 2003-07-22, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:23:13PM -0400, David A. Cobb wrote:
> >Recently, I was trying to do "strace Xemacs . . ."
> >First I got a "No such file" error, so I changed to do "strace `which
> >xemacs` " -- still a failure.
> >
> >which xemacs returns "/usr/local/bin/xemacs.exe.lnk"; that is, my normal
> >handle to launch xemacs is a symlink to the executable whose name or
> >location varies with the version-number.
> >
> >Given that its purpose is to locate what executable file one will use in
> >a particular environment, should not 'which' resolve the symlink and
> >return its target?
>
>No.
>
> >What would happen on *nix?
>
>The same thing as on cygwin.

Really?

Since Cygwin "strace" is not a Cygwin program, it does not get Cygwin
symbolic links resolved. Whereas on Unix or Linux, a symlink would be
resolved by the kernel if it was used by strace and it (strace) would
successfully get its target executed.

So wouldn't the behavior on Cygwin differ from a comparable invocation
on Linux or Unix?

Randall Schulz