How to resolve a link?

David A. Cobb superbiskit@cox.net
Wed Jul 23 04:25:00 GMT 2003

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:23:13PM -0400, David A. Cobb wrote:
>

>>Recently, I was trying to do "strace Xemacs . . ."
>>First I got a "No such file" error, so I changed to do "strace `which
>>xemacs` " -- still a failure.
>>
>>which xemacs returns "/usr/local/bin/xemacs.exe.lnk"; that is, my normal
>>handle to launch xemacs is a symlink to the executable whose name or
>>location varies with the version-number.
>>
>>Given that its purpose is to locate what executable file one will use in
>>a particular environment, should not 'which' resolve the symlink and
>>return its target?
>>

>No.
>

>>What would happen on *nix?
>>

>The same thing as on cygwin.

OK, but would strace be equally unable to start the subprocess from a
link?
IIRC, one major irritation in Windoz is that one cannot do certain
operations via a link ("shortcut") whereas in *nix the link is a
nearly-complete surrogate for its target.

Of course, if there is a less-obvious but successful solution to the
problem I'd be happy to hear about it.

>--
>Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
>Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.
Life is too short to tolerate crappy software.
.