cygwin 1.5.0 managed mode & backward compatibility

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Fri Jul 18 02:06:00 GMT 2003

Pavel Rozenboim wrote:

> [...]

Right.  Play around with it and you'll probably see why this won't
really work (i.e. it could get you a different file than you expected
for one thing).

>>If not, please clarify.  Also, I'm not sure I understand the
>>implication
>>of 'backward' in your statement, unless it was just a qualifier for
>>'windows'.
>

> It is mostly the same, as current cygwin (1.3.xx) implementation relies on
> windows names, AFAIK.

Right.  OK same as above then.

>>There's no reason that Windows applications can't work with
>>the managed
>>named files of course.  At least, no reason AFAICS.
>

> The potential problem is in mixed environments. For example, we have a
> compilation scripts that run on cygwin and use cygwin make utility, but the
> compiler itself is a non-cygwin application. In such situation all scripts
> and makefiles need to be modified to use cygpath utility extensively. We
> also use non-cygwin editors to edit the sources. Of course, use of managed
> mode is not required in this situation, but it still would be nice to be
> able to work with managed mode and still be able to access files with
> non-cygwin applications.

Well, as I mentioned, you can.  You just have to refer to the managed
names as they appear in Windows.  This works fine for me.  But I don't
see a transparent, seemless way to make Windows or unaware Cygwin
versions understand the managed names.

Holliston, MA 01746