mysqlc (was RE: php-mysql-cygwin how to)

Elfyn McBratney elfyn@emcb.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 12:56:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Bill McCormick wrote:

> [...]

I've never bothered to find out. I guess it's because mysqlc is linked against
B19.

> > > Even if it
> > > did, it still doesn't get us to the point where we can use Perl and PHP
> > > under Cygwin, right?
> >
> > Of course. Once you have the client lib you can then install and
> > use DBD::mysql
> > and php_mysql.
> >

> And many others.
>
> > > Also, why bother getting a server to run under Cygwin? It runs
> > under Windows
> > > just fine. Getting it to run under Cygwin under Windows seems
> > like a lot of
> > > busy work to little end. The only important thing is that the
> > client works
> > > so we can use the Perl DBI, PHP and other various client
> > interfaces. Or am I
> > > missing something?
> >
> > It's the same argument for Apache, PostgreSQL, Perl etc, etc. I
> > suppose it's not
> > really needed, but some people might like to "play". :-)
> >

> Ok. I was thinking of cygwin in terms of a development environment for Linux
> based web apps. As far as PostgreSQL running under Win32, unless things have
> changed, I thought cygwin IS the only way. The others are strictly necessary
> for this type of devel. MySQL is not. I guess what threw me off was when
> someone said they were going to "drop" what they were working on to get the
> server working - as if there were some urgency to it.

I thought PostgreSQL had been Windows'ised..guess not :-)

The reason for having the server for me, is that my web host only allows
connections from localhost. So, in order for me to test my apps I have to
ssh to the host, compile the program, run it, etc, etc. Whereas, if I had
the server on Cygwin, I could do all of that testing locally.

There's no urgency in having it in the Cygwin distribution. I was working on
some very, very boring stuff that day and I felt like a change. :-)

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney, EMCB
http://www.emcb.co.uk