Performance problem

Vladimir Baltchev vbaltch@orthosoft.ca
Tue Jul 8 22:39:00 GMT 2003

  The combination OpenGL X11 works fine on Unix. We are trying to use
cygwin to port our applications on Windows. The cygwin's OpenGL gives us
the dependency on the X11 cygwin simulation on Windows which is slow, I
gess...

-----------------
If I am interpreting the output below correctly, you are developing an
OpenGL program under X11; that's the main reason it is so slow.

OpenGL under X11 renders everything in software, without any hardware
acceleration, so it's rendering is orders of magnitude slower. It is
true that Cygwin's I/O and memory management are somewhat slower than
under Linux, but that's peanuts compared to the OpenGL penalty.

If you want a fast program, you will have to use Window's native OpenGL
implementation, which renders through hardware accelerators. That's what
the OpenGL package for Cygwin provides.

Unfortunately, to use Window's native OpenGL implementation, you will
have to rewrite completely such parts of your program as window
management and user interface.

Last point (before you ask): the OpenGL implementation under X11 cannot
be easily modified to use hardware acceleration, and I doubt it can be
modified at all to do so. To know why, please search the archives for
this list.

Vladimir Baltchev <vbaltch at orthosoft dot ca> wrote:

    Hi there,
    We are about to port Unix - Irix and Linux applications to Windows
    using Cygwin. However the Cygwin version is very slow compared to
    Linux, even I compiled with the optimize option -O2. It is a Windows
    2000, the program is a segmentation editor using Qt, OpenGl and some
    image processing.
    What is the reason? Is it OpenGL on cygwin, or both?
    Here is the library dependency list:
    segeditorMax.exe
    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libGL.dll
    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libX11.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    C:\winnt\System32\KERNEL32.dll
    C:\winnt\System32\NTDLL.DLL
    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libXext.dll
    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libGLU.dll
    c:\qt-cygwin\qt-3\bin\cygqt-mt-3.dll
    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libICE.dll
    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libSM.dll
    C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\libXrender.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygpng12.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll
    C:\winnt\System32\ADVAPI32.DLL
    C:\winnt\System32\RPCRT4.DLL
    c:\Vlad\build\Dev\lib\libOip.dll
    C:\winnt\System32\GDI32.dll
    C:\winnt\System32\USER32.DLL

André Bleau, Cygwin's OpenGL package maintainer.

--
Vladimir Baltchev
Senior Software Developer @ Orthosoft R&D Inc