posix and win32 enviornment

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Jul 3 01:25:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Ling F. Zhang wrote:

> I am writting a C program...
> is there a way for me to know if the program is being
> executed in win32 or posix cygwin so that I can use
> the appropriate filesystem when referring files?

It's very simple.  If you use the Cygwin gcc, by default it links with
cygwin1.dll, and the program will understand POSIX paths.  If you give a
"-mno-cygwin" option to gcc, you'll be using the MinGW libraries, and your
program will not understand POSIX paths (i.e., you'll have to use Win32
ones).

FYI, Cygwin programs always understand POSIX paths, even when executed
from a command window or a batch file.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/