Making zsh the default

Dan Nelson dnelson@allantgroup.com
Wed Jan 29 22:48:00 GMT 2003

In the last episode (Jan 29), Igor Pechtchanski said:
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > Now all that's needed is a way to let us not install bash...  Why
> > does setup.exe insist on selecting the bash package?  I have to
> > remember to cycle it back to "Skip" every time.
>
> Not a very good idea.  While cygwin itself does not depend on bash,
> some other applications (notably, sh-utils) do depend on it.  Some
> postinstall/preremove scripts might also require bash.  That's why
> you have to explicitly set it to "Skip" - it's selected because of a
> dependence.  If you choose to violate this dependence, you should be
> aware of the consequences.

sh-utils depends on bash for the nohup command, which runs just fine
with /sib/sh with the following change to the last line in the script
(copied from debian's nohup, which uses /bin/sh):

-exec -- "$@"
+exec "$@"

I would imagine most other bash dependencies are just like this;  bash
run as /bin/sh still allows bash syntax, and many Linux /bin/sh scripts
are really bash-specific.  It's easier to simply change the bang path
to /bin/bash and add a dependency than it is to fix the script.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com