strange characters in Xterm (in X-window)

Quan Ding qd421@yahoo.com
Tue Jan 28 21:42:00 GMT 2003

If I remove the PS1 variable setting in /etc/profile,
the problem goes away. But my prompt becomes
"bash-2.05b$" instead of the current directory I'm in.
And I checked /etc/passwd file, I didn't see any
/bin/sh, they are all /bin/bash. So I didn't change
that file.
And then I found out that the problem is in the startx
script. If I change the first line from "#!bin/sh" to
"#!bin/bash", and leave the PS1 setting as it was in
/etc/profile, I got my informative prompt back in
Cygwin window while the annoying code in X-window's
terminals went away. Yeah~~~~~!
Thanks for your help!

-Quan
--- "lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com"