question about openssl

Fri Jan 24 14:47:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 05:00:28PM -0800, Maria Scharin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed cygwin and I am trying to create a certificate using
> openssl.
> The command is:
> openssl req -new -out server.csr
> And I get the following:
> unable to write 'random state'

It sounds as if you have not enough permissions to create or write
to the file.  The default is $HOME/.rnd.  Check the setting of
your $HOME and the permissions in general.  The function will fail
e. g. if you don't havge an env. variable $HOME.

Just FYI, I just tested the above command on my Cygwin box and it worked
fine so at least I know that it can work.

> I searched this on google and I found one entry saying that I have to
> set RANDFILE in the environment or use the "-rand" option.

You *can* set RANDFILE, you don't have to.  If you set it, it
overrides $HOME/.rnd.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.