cygwin conflicting with seti@home on win2000

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Wed Jan 22 21:25:00 GMT 2003


Petar,

Between Cygwin1.dll version 1.3.17 and 1.3.18, changes were made to the 
manner in which I/O to and from pipes is handled. It improved the 
behavior of some CD recording software. This had the unfortunate 
side-effect of introducing very long delays to pipe I/O whenever there 
was any CPU demand, regardless of how low a priority the CPU-demanding 
process or thread was assigned.

Preliminary reports from those using snapshots of the pre-1.3.19 
release indicate the problem has been solved. In the mean-time, either 
shut down SETI@home, install 1.3.17 of the cygwin package, avoid using 
pipes in Cygwin or work on your patience.

Randall Schulz


At 09:37 2003-01-22, petar marinov wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Two days ago I installed the latest version of cygwin.
>
>I've been happily using previous versions for a long time. Now I noticed
>that bash pauses for about 15-20 seconds before showing the prompt.
>
>...
>
>Decided to just stop seti@home which is running on the machine.
>Everything run flowlessy. Repeated running bash with and withough
>seti@home, it confirmed my obvesrvation.
>
>What can be the problem?
>
>-petar


--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list