Bug in rm -r with locked files

Shankar Unni shankar@cotagesoft.com
Wed Jan 22 03:43:00 GMT 2003

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> It's not a completely intractable problem.  I think that someone (Chris
> January?) provided a workaround at one point.  "cygserver" could also
> provide a possible solution someday.

Right. I went back and re-read those archives. Interesting problem.

Now why was it important to do this "delayed remove" semantics? I.e.
what (as alluded to by Robert Collins) would be broken if unlink simply
returned EPERM or something like that if the file was busy? I didn't see
any reference to that in the message threads.

(PS The archive search feature at http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/ seem to
be broken - just about anything I type in the search box, including the
word "cygwin", comes back with "no matches". So I apologize for not
being able to do this research myself, and have to depend on those with
long memories..)
--
Shankar.