emacs error ad-Orig-documentation called with 5 arguments

Robert Mecklenburg mecklen@cimsoft.com
Fri Jan 17 22:58:00 GMT 2003

DH> Robert Mecklenburg wrote:
RM> I'm getting the following error in the x-enabled version of cygwin
RM> emacs:
RM>
RM> ** ad-Orig-documentation called with 5 arguments, but accepts only 1-2

DH> I think the problem is with the original documentation function itself,
DH> not with advice.

Moments after sending my previous message I discovered that the error
message is actually generated by loading advice.el.  No other action
is required.  A little judicious editing revealed that commenting out
the "defadvice documentation" code in advice.el allows the advice.el
file to load correctly.  Obviously, this is not a functional fix of
any kind, just more clues.  My comment lines are marked ";;x" (from
advice.el):

;;x(defadvice documentation (after ad-advised-docstring first disable preact)
;;x  "Builds an advised docstring if FUNCTION is advised."
;;x  ;; Because we get the function name from the advised docstring
;;x  ;; this will work for function names as well as for definitions:
;;x  (if (and (stringp ad-return-value)
;;x	   (string-match
;;x	    ad-advised-definition-docstring-regexp ad-return-value))
;;x      (let ((function
;;x	     (car (read-from-string
;;x		   ad-return-value (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)))))
;;x	(cond ((ad-is-advised function)
;;x	       (setq ad-return-value (ad-make-advised-docstring function))
;;x	       ;; Handle optional `raw' argument:
;;x	       (if (not (ad-get-arg 1))
;;x		   (setq ad-return-value
;;x			 (substitute-command-keys ad-return-value))))))))

;; @@ Starting, stopping and recovering from the advice package magic:
;; ===================================================================

(defun ad-start-advice ()
  "Start the automatic advice handling magic."
  (interactive)
  ;; Advising `ad-activate-internal' means death!!
  (ad-set-advice-info 'ad-activate-internal nil)
  (ad-safe-fset 'ad-activate-internal 'ad-activate)
;;x  (ad-enable-advice 'documentation 'after 'ad-advised-docstring)
;;x  (ad-activate 'documentation 'compile)
)

(defun ad-stop-advice ()
  "Stop the automatic advice handling magic.
You should only need this in case of Advice-related emergencies."
  (interactive)
  ;; Advising `ad-activate-internal' means death!!
  (ad-set-advice-info 'ad-activate-internal nil)
;;x  (ad-disable-advice 'documentation 'after 'ad-advised-docstring)
;;x  (ad-update 'documentation)
  (ad-safe-fset 'ad-activate-internal 'ad-activate-internal-off))

--
Robert