emacs error ad-Orig-documentation called with 5 arguments

Robert Mecklenburg mecklen@cimsoft.com
Fri Jan 17 19:03:00 GMT 2003

I'm getting the following error in the x-enabled version of cygwin
emacs:

  ** ad-Orig-documentation called with 5 arguments, but accepts only 1-2

The bug is very reproduceable by defining the following two lisp
functions:

(defun foo ()
  (interactive)
  (message "hi"))

(defadvice foo (before example-advice act comp))

Here is what little I know of the problem:

1.  The error is advice on the documentation function rather than on
    the function I advised, foo.  The advice.el documentation says:
    "Once Advice has been started ... it generates an advised
    definition of the `documentation' function".  So most likely, here
    lies the error.  No reason to suspect ntsec.

2.  The error does not occur with the same source code with either nt
    emacs (non-cygwin version) or "/bin/emacs-nox -q".

3.  It does occur with "/bin/emacs -q -nw".

4.  The advice suggested recently here of completely deleting and
    reinstalling a clean cygwin (because of possible ntsec issues)
    does not solve the problem for me.

5.  A google search for "ad-Orig-documentation" yields 6 results, none
    of which are helpful.

I'm not sure how to continue debugging this issue.  I'm studying
advice.el now.

Cheers,
--
Robert