javac on cygwin

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Mon Jan 13 02:54:00 GMT 2003

Kevin,

Javac is not particularly special. It is a Windows-native program, and as
such requires absolute file and directory names be provided in Windows
format (forward slashes are OK, but drive letters are required and the
Cygwin notion of root is completely unknown to such programs). PATH-like
variables (specifically CLASSPATH) must be in Windows format (semicolon
separators).

Both of these conversions is handled by the "cygpath" utility. Learn about it.

I strongly suggest that if your development environment, either
individually or as a group, is or is at all likely to become cross-platform
(betwen Windows and any kind of Unix), that you adopt a Unix-centered set
of build scripts and then create cover scripts that encapsulate the
operations that bridge the gap between the POSIX / Unix world of Cygwin and
the underlying native Sun Java SDK tools. Do so in a way that allows those
translations to be easily switched off, replaced or made null when not
needed (when you're working on an actual Unix system).

I do lots of Java under Windows with Cygwin and have for quite a while.
Feel free to come back with further questions.

Randall Schulz