connect() not interrupted by sigalrm?

Elfyn McBratney elfyn-cygwin@exposure.org.uk
Mon Feb 24 20:30:00 GMT 2003

> Thanks for your prompt response:
>
> > Cockpit error. You left out a few headers.
> > - string.h is needed for memset()
> > - unistd.h is needed for alarm()
> > - arpa/inet.h is needed for inet_addr()
> >
> > After that it works fine.
>
> The addition of these include files does make gcc -Wall happier, but
> it not change the behavior of the program at run-time. Under Cygwin on
> my XP box, it still waits many seconds for the connect() to timeout
> and then returns with a "Connection timed out" error, instead of
> returning after the 2 second alarm with the desired "Interrupted
> system call" error.

I believe I have found the problem. In order for your program to work as
expected you will need SA_INTERRUPT , which is not defined in
/usr/include/sys/signal.h . So it just laggs until it gets to the "Network
unreachable" error. I'm not to sure the reason why it's not there (?).

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn@exposure.org.uk
www.exposure.org.uk