error setting up ipc-daemon

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 19 01:18:00 GMT 2003

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> An excerpt from "cygrunsrv --help" below
>
>   -e, --env <VAR=VALUE>     Optional environment strings which are added
>                             to the environment when service is started.
>                             You can add up to 255 environment strings using
>                             the `--env' option.
>                             Note: /bin is always added to $PATH to allow all
>                             started applications to find at least cygwin1.dll.
>
> shows that you shouldn't really need to add c:\cygwin\bin to your system
> path (if one uses cygrunsrv, that is).  If that is not the case, then it's
> a bug in cygrunsrv (or an error in documentation).

That's all well and good -- but ipc-daemon doesn't use cygserver.  It
has all the necessary hooks for ServiceManager itself.

I should probably rip out that stuff eventually, and rely on cygserver.
  But since ipc-daemon will be replaced by the cygwin-daemon, someday, I
really don't want to mess with it if it isn't broken.

As far as the actual difficulties here, I think it's probably an
environment issue; ipc-deamon MUST have cygwin1.dll in its user context
PATH.  See /usr/doc/Cygwin/cygipc/README.

--Chuck