Duplicate CygWin

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Feb 18 15:17:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Ben Clewett wrote:
>
> > With the mount points, I was hoping a *hack* as simple as:
> >
> > char *pRootMount; pRootMount = getenv("ROOT_MOUNT");
> > if (pRootMount) { ....; return; }
> >
> > Can be inserted somewhere...
> >
> > Or maybe even better, the variable FSTAB pointing to an /etc/fstab file
> > on the Windows PC...  Endless options.
> write and contribute - I'm sure a properly developed and
> copyright-assigned set of patches will be thankfully accepted by the
> Cygwin developers. AFAIK (but Chris and Corinna may want to correct me
> here) the registry entries for Cygwin are bound to go away at some point
> anyway.
>
> Note, though, that putting an fstabs file in an /etc directory somewhere
> will probably not be enough: you still have to find the /etc directory in
> a clean (and portable) manner.
>
> > I'll look for the memory naming following your instructions.
> > In both cases, I would prefer any options which didn't mean forking the
> > code.  So I would be interested in your opinions...
> Options *not* forking the code but allowing you to have two different
> Cygwin installations with different mountpoints on the same system??
> Sorry, I can't think of any, but AFAICT, you'll just have to keep a set of
> patches around and apply them to every release of the Cygwin sources. I'd
> be surprised if the code that takes care of the shared memory region and
> the mount points in Cygwin moves around much.
>
> rlc

User mounts and separate users.  Each Windows user effectively has its own
mount table -- use that fact.  Details in the User Guide/FAQ.

Also, you don't really need a patch for the shared region ID -- it's a
#defined constant, just use the -D compiler flag (you may need several).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune