Is there anyway to use cygwin-g++ to compile a program to run on a unix box

Christopher Faylor cgf-cygwin@cygwin.com
Thu Feb 6 02:35:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 05:33:24PM -0600, faisal vali wrote:
>I know this may sound backasswards - but does anyone know if cygwin can
>be used to create an executable that will run on a certain unix
>platform?

No, there's no way to do this using existing cygwin tools.

You could build a cross-compiler to do this.  It's a complicated task,
though.  It would require regenerating a new version of gcc and bringing
over all of the libraries for linux to your PC.

If you do a google search for "cross compiler" you'll be off to a good
start if you want to try this.  The crossgcc at sources.redhat.com
mailing list is also designed for dealing with cross compilers.

cgf