Problem with makewhatis

Jeremy Hetzler jeremyhetzler@mail.earthlink.net
Sun Feb 2 06:36:00 GMT 2003

At 09:23 AM 2/1/2003 +0100, Bernadette et Luc Henninger wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have problem with "makewhatis" that may be related to "sh":
>
>$ /usr/sbin/makewhatis -v -u
>/usr/sbin/makewhatis: cannot create /dev/stderr: directory nonexistent
>
>$ bash /usr/sbin/makewhatis -v -u
>about to enter /usr/man
>
>$ cygcheck -c man bash ash
>Cygwin Package Information
>Package             Version
>ash                 20020731-1
>bash                2.05b-8
>man                 1.5j-1

You can work around this either by changing the shebang line to
"#!/usr/bin/bash", or changing line 141 from:

         echo "about to enter $mandir" > /dev/stderr

to:

         echo "about to enter $mandir" >&2

which does the same thing AFAICT but is ash-friendly. A correct and
complete fix would also change the references to /dev/stderr inside the
gawk invocation.

While you're in there, you might consider changing "rm -rf" to "rm -r" to
avoid the much-discussed rm hang issue (lines 62 and 363).

Jeremy