Question about ash and getopts

Peter Seebach seebs@plethora.net
Mon Dec 29 20:37:00 GMT 2003

In message <Pine.GSO.4.56.0312291434200.18706@slinky.cs.nyu.edu>, Igor Pechtcha
nski writes:
>I'm sure this discussion is in the archives somewhere.

A first run of casual searching hasn't turned it up.

However, since I happen to have an unmunged ash source around, I removed
getopts from it.

# Without getopts
$ ls -l obj/sh
-rwxr-xr-x  1 seebs  wheel  116024 Dec 29 12:50 obj/sh
# with getopts
$ ls -l obj/sh
-rwxr-xr-x  1 seebs  wheel  116440 Dec 29 12:51 obj/sh

416 bytes?

Is this some kind of practical joke?  The one thing I saw in the archive
said that removing getopts saved 13k of space.

To remove getopts, I removed:
	* getoptscmd
	* The reference to getoptscmd in builtin.def
	* getopts
	* getoptsreset

The entirety of options.c only has about 3k of code in it at all.

416 *bytes*?

Admittedly, I did this compile on NetBSD, but the code in question is 100%
portable, and the same everywhere.  It sounds to me like someone trimmed a
lot of things, without any attention at all to how large the individual things
were.

I don't think anyone can convince me that a 416-byte difference in code, or
even twice that, is big enough to justify thumbing one's nose at POSIX.

-s