Need tips debugging a crash porting an app to cygwin caused by sth overwriting a function

Dalibor Topic robilad@kaffe.org
Thu Dec 18 01:15:00 GMT 2003

Hi Christopher,

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:57:40PM +0100, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
>>Hi Christopher,
>>
>>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>Use 'display' to show the contents of the memory location being modified
>>>and either single step or use binary search techniques to see when the
>>>location is modified.
>>>
>>>This isn't a cygwin technique.  It's just a debugging technique.
>>
>>Thanks for the quick, insightful reply.
>>
>>I was hoping for some silver bullet, but now it seems like I'll have to
>>learn to script gdb to do what you propose. Automated debugging, and all
>>that.
>

> I don't see how you could script this.  Using a binary search technique
> it should be possible to narrow this down fairly quickly, assuming that
> it doesn't take long for the memory to become corrupted.

I was thinking about defining a gdb command along the lines of

define my-stepi-watch
while (*(long *) findJarFiles == original_value)
stepi
end

though I've never done that before, so I'm not sure if that would work ;)

I'm not sure about using binary search, as there might be some threading
involved, so I assume it's safer to just check on each stepi and let the
machine run overnight.

> I don't suppose that this is just a variation of something not taking a
> \r\n ending into account, is it?  That's usually solved with the
> judicious use of O_BINARY or adding a "b" to the appropriate f{re,}open
> parameter.

Thanks for the tip. All calls to f{re,}open in the VM core use O_BINARY.

cheers,
dalibor topic