man produces ESC

Alejandro Lopez-Valencia dradul@etb.net.co
Sat Dec 13 20:03:00 GMT 2003

El Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:29:39 -0600, B. K. Oxley (binkley)
<binkley@alumni.rice.edu> escribió:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:09:39 -0800 Steve Kelem <s_kelem@pacbell.net>
> wrote in <3FC28FB3.6060702@pacbell.net>:
>> Problem 1:
>> When I run "man man", all the escape sequences show up in less (version
>> 381):
>> ESC[1mNAMEESC[0m
>> man - format and display the on=line manual pages
>
> I too have this problem as of Ded 13.  Is there some fix I can apply?
> This problem makes man almost useless.  I pipe through col to help, but
> it only does so much.

Strange, that has been fixed for a looong time now... Anyway, short answer:

$ cat > /etc/profile.d/less.sh
LESS=isrR
export LESS
^D

fixes the problem; close your shell and start a new one.

Have you modified /etc/man.config in any way? Groff 1.18 grotty driver
changed its behavior to output SGR codes instead of the old printer
control codes that were incidentally understood by VT-100 and related
terminals; the evident gain is that you can output color codes understood
in a terminal emulator. The less pager can understand such codes if
invoked with the flags shown above; lowly more, btw, does it OOTB. These
same flags are used by man in Cygwin, because they are included in
/etc/man.config: "PAGER=less -isrR" unless you are using a very old man
(more than a year old at the least) or you have broken it yourself :-)

--
The limits of my language are the limits of my world.
                                  Ludwig Wittgenstein