Third-party products that include Cygwin

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Tue Dec 9 22:40:00 GMT 2003

At 02:10 PM 12/9/2003, David A. Cobb you wrote:
>I recently tried out a couple of software packages -- SSH_CONFIGURATOR is one that sticks in my mind -- that are built with Cygwin. Their README documents said there wouldn't be a problem with a "properly installed" existing Cygwin.  Well, there was a problem with
>mine, which otherwise works just fine for me. Possibly they looked for cygwin1.dll in a specific place, possibly they tried to use PATH.  I don't know.  Anyway, they left me with multiple cygwin1.dll's so nothing worked at all until I tore them out by the roots.
>OK, that may be the packagers problem, not ours.  However, I'm wondering if we could make it easier? How about storing /HKLM/Cygnus Solutions/Cygwin/DLL_PATH="native:/path/to/cygwin1.dll and
>                          /HKLM/Cygnus Solutions/Cygwin/DLL_VERSION="1.2.3"
>
>And providing a simple C routine to return the critical information.
>I'm less sure about this piece -- most use things like InstallShield and I don't know how the scripting works there. Of course, if they simply looked at the mount point /HKLM/Cyg.../Cygwin/mounts_v2/bin, they could work it all out!!!

The prescribed approach is for third parties to not bundle cygwin1.dll
but instead point to cygwin.com and say "Install This First".  An
alternative is a nice automated way in their installer to invoke the
Cygwin installer.  If they do this, then there's no chance of having
more than 1 cygwin1.dll installed and no one needs to check for one.
Of course, doing the checking is not hard (FindFirstFile()/FindNextFile())
even if it's not necessary.

Holliston, MA 01746