Setup hangs in postinstall

Antoine Labour antoine.labour@m4x.org
Tue Dec 9 20:57:00 GMT 2003

Michael Robbert wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I don't have a copy of XP to try this with, but it would
>> appear to be a bug in uname (since it gives no output from the
>> commandline)
>>
>> Does it uname hang or just return empty?  Is there any error codes?  Try:
>>
>> /bin/uname -a ; echo $?
>>
>> Also, could you *attach* (uncompressed) the output of:
>>
>> /bin/cygcheck -svr > cygcheck.out
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> J.
>>
> John,
> the uname command by itself does not hang or return empty, it is only in
> the process of assigning the output of the command(any command) to a
> variable that it hangs.
> Here is the output of your example:
>
> bash-2.05b$ /bin/uname -s; echo $?
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1
> 0
>
> I have attached the file cygcheck.out which contains the out from the
> command "cygcheck -svr"
>
> Antoine,
> I don't think that your problem is exactly the same as mine either. You
> problem, from what I gather in your post, only happens in a loop and
> possibly on a dual CPU(SMP) machine. I am getting this on a single
> command on a laptop(not SMP).
>
> Everyone,
> If anybody wants to point to bash as the problem, let me also point out
> that I have been able to replicate the problem in zsh, csh, and sh.

Actually, I still do believe it's the same problem. In some other mails
I specified it happens also on single CPU machines. I think other people
have been able to reproduce it as well. The fact I expose it in a loop
is because the hang is random. It also sometimes happen in a non-loop
environment. I suspect a nasty race condition which depends heavily on
the system scheduling, so in your case the same problem might happen
every time.
In any case, I tried my small test case with zsh too, same result : hang
after a few iterations.

Cheers,
Antoine