HLDS and Cygwin

GDN_Cygwin cygwin@warden.gdn.net
Thu Aug 21 16:45:00 GMT 2003

Elfyn,

Thanks for taking some time to help with this.  I am sorry I did not
provide enough information on the problem.  Let me answer your questions
below:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Elfyn McBratney wrote:

> GDN_Cygwin wrote:
> >
> > There seems to be a problem running HLDS (half-life dedicated server) for
> > windows and Cygwin and possible other similar apps.
> >
> > The setup:
> >
> > 1) Full install of HLDS, lets call it hlds1
> > 2) Second complete install of HLDS in separate directory, call hlds2
> >
> > I have no problem executing the hlds1 or hlds2 by themselves.  But when I
> > try to run both at the same time the 2nd one does not run at all.
>
> Sorry, I do not know what HLDS is or what it does, apart from it being of the
> server variety of applications. Is HLDS a free software project, an open source
> project, a commercial thing?

HLDS stands for Half Life Dedicated Server.  Half Life is a game that is
very popular in the online multiplayer community.  There are many mods
people have put out that use the HL engine to run including Counter
Strike, Day of Defeat, etc.  The game is developed by valvesoftware.com.

> > If I kill hlds1 and run hlds2 it starts right up.
> >
> > If I run either hlds1 or hlds2 and try to even execute the other one from
> > file explorer I get an error "Unable to load engine, image is corrupt."
> >
> > Although if I run hlds1 and hlds2 from file explorer they both run fine.
>
> This doesn't really sound like a Cygwin issue. Is HLDS a Cygwin app or Mingw
> app [read: native windows app] ?

This version of it is compiled for windows however the dedicated server
has a linux port that I run just fine on native linux boxes no problem.  I
could not run the linux executable on the Win2000 box under cygwin, should
I have been able to?

> > I have seen on the net claims that cygwin has:
> >
> > "NOTE: There are issues with the cygwin.dll and separating simultaneous
> > user space. Use with caution!"
>
> There *are* issues when running multiple versions of the Cygwin dll
> (cygwin1.dll), but not when running two Cygwin programs on a single
> installation.

I see.  Then perhaps that issue I found digging around on the net does not
apply.

> > They suggest using SSH.COM's SSH solution for this issue.
>
> Who does? And if this entity suggests using ssh.com's solution for this "problem"
> then perhaps you should goto ssh.com for help.

It was a thread about an application that ran under cygwin.

> > Has anyone else run into this?
> >
> > I tried to even run firedaemon from cygwin but cannot do it without admin
> > so thats out.  I also tried to run psexec but it does not work under
> > cygwin either apprently.  This approach was to try and get cygwin to start
> > hlds as services by a non Admin user to get around the problem.
> >
> > The main thing I am trying to do is have a normal (non Admin) user run
> > hlds.exe and have multiple copies of it run on the same machine.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I'm sorry but, although you have provided a lot of information, it's not really
> useful. You seem to have a problem with a *Windows* program, and I'm not too sure
> how Cygwin fits into this at all.
>
> Please take a gander at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, if you think this
> really is a Cygwin issue.

So let me give a little more information about this HLDS.exe application.
Basically the application is a windows compiled application.  If I execute
the application run windows explorer it fires up no problem.  I also dont
have any problems running one copy of the hlds.exe program from within
cygwin.

Where the problem comes into play is when I try to run a second copy of
hlds.exe (where I copied the entire directory to a second location on the
HD) from cygwin.  What happens is the 2nd copy does not load it just sits
there and does nothing unless I hit control-c to stop execution.

The odd thing about it also and what makes me belive it is a cygwin
problem is that if I run the hlds.exe and the 2nd copy of it from windows
explorer they run no problem.

However if I run just one copy from cygwin then both windows explorer and
cygwin are unable to run the second copy.

Thanks,
Russell