SSH session terminates with Ctl+C

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Tue Aug 5 20:42:00 GMT 2003

Brian Dessent wrote:

> Jeff Nokes wrote:
>

>>I've ran into a strange issue, one of which I have not run into before with
>>cygwin.  I have a W2K workstation at work, and I use cygwin to ssh into both
>>Solaris and RedHat Linux boxes to do development.  Sometimes, while ssh'd into
>>a remote host, I have to 'Ctl+C' out of a process when it hangs.  When
>>connected to the Solaris boxes, the Ctl+C just puts me back at the command
>>prompt on the remote host, which is what I would expect it to do.  But when
>>I'm connected to a Linux box and I Ctl+C out of a process, not only does it
>>kill the process on the remote Linux host, but it kills my active ssh session
>>with that host and puts me back in the default cygwin shell in my W2K
>>environment.
>

> If you're using CMD.EXE for your command prompt you might try setting
> "tty" in the CYGWIN environment variable.  Also, give rxvt a try.  Make
> sure that your TERM is set to "Cygwin" or "rxvt" for CMD.EXE and rxvt,
> repectively.  You shouldn't have to explicitly set TERM to anything, it
> should take the correct value without forcing it.

Brian, what makes you think this is a Cygwin problem?  To me, if it
works Cygwin->Cygwin and Cygwin->Solaris but not Cygwin->Linux, then
it's not likely that a change on the Cygwin side is going to help, IMO.
FWIW, this worked for me Cygwin->Cygwin from bash and from rxvt without
tty set for either attempt.

Holliston, MA 01746