problems compiling ddd on cygwin

Christopher Faylor cgf-idd@cygwin.com
Sat Aug 2 14:34:00 GMT 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 08:56:45AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, james wrote:
>
>> hi! this is a cry for help.
>
>Our specialty. :-)
>
>> i've been trying to install ddd on cygwin on my windows xp box. i've been
>> reading archive posts to see what problems others have reported, and the
>> solutions offered. following suggestions to others, i've so far gotten
>> through configure with:
>> configure
>> CC=gcc-2 --with-motif-includes=/usr/local/include/ --with-motif-libraries=/usr/local/lib --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include/ --x-libraries=usr/X11R6/lib
>>
>> but when i type make, i get errors that force make to quit.
>> i am a bit of a novice; i don't know how to figure why make is quitting or
>> what someone else would have to see in order to understand the problem and
>> advise on how to fix it.
>>
>> does anyone know why make is quitting, or could somebody please tell me what
>> i need to do next to fix this (including telling me what info to post for
>> diagnostics)?
>>
>> thanks for your patience,
>> james
>
>Well, for one, the log of the make invocation would be helpful, as it
>would show the exact commands you're running and the errors you get.  You
>may want to compress it with either bzip2 or gzip, as it might be quite
>large.  Alternatively, you could snip out the parts that definitely
>completed successfully.  Some information on your system (the output of
>"cygcheck -svr" as an uncompressed non-inline text attachment, to be
>precise) would also be useful in case you are simply missing some *-devel
>packages.  This would be enough information to start helping you diagnose
>your problem.

Another option is to check the site where you got the software (ddd).  If
they provide the option of working with cygwin then they may also have
hints for building it.

Another option is to just use the 'insight' debugger which provides a
graphical debugger.

The final suggestion is to read http://cygwin.com/problems.html.  The
original email has many of the earmarks of the "don'ts" advice on this
page.
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org