'setup.exe' under Win2K Terminal Server in AS mode

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Fri Aug 1 01:50:00 GMT 2003

msg wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I've been running 1.3.22 for some months now on a Win2K Server running
> Terminal Services in Application Server mode for a variety of
> development
> projects and am pleased overall; however the entire installation was
> done manually for the most part due to a vast number of failures
> of the 'setup.exe' process compounded by slow dial-up access to the
> 'net.  I won't elaborate on these issues in this message nor post
> a 'cygcheck' output at this time; my intent here is to inquire whether
> the maintainers have considered the implications of the install process
> on a Win2K Server running TS in AS mode.  Apps should be installed
> using 'Control Panel' to permit proper registry and user profile mapping
> mechanisms to work, and apps should be TS aware in order to
> avoid a variety of problems during install and multiuser use. I believe
> 'setup.exe' should be TS aware to avoid a variety of problems or at
> least the cygwin FAQ and homepage should include some caveats (at the
> least to avoid running 'setup.exe' from the web links).

Thanks for the feedback.  Cygwin is a volunteer-run project.  If you're
interested in working towards the goal you mentioned above, please send
some email to the cygwin-apps list.  That list exists to discuss setup-
related issues and development.  As with many such project, resources
are scarce so I'm sure any help you might be willing to provide would
be appreciated.

Holliston, MA 01746