Perl instabilities

Michael Lemke lemkemch@t-online.de
Tue Apr 29 01:49:00 GMT 2003

4/27/03 21:29:20, Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Michael Lemke wrote:
>
>> 4/27/03 17:43:09, "Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de> wrote:
>>
>> >Hallo Michael,

>> >$ cat /usr/doc/Cygwin/rebase-2.2.README | more
>>
>> Thanks.  Did that and followed the instructions to rebaseall.
>> Same result with perl. :-(
>>
>> I then installed Gerrit's debug version and set  CYGWIN=error_start:d:\cygnus\cygwin\bin\dumper.exe
>> However, that doesn't work at all.  dumper or gdb, which I tried first, isn't called at all.  Instead there
>> is this perl process sitting around that can't be killed and prevents a clean shutdown of Windows.
>> The CYGWIN setting above has worked for me before.
>>
>> I further noticed the cwd.dll library, in which perl dies, is part of perl.
>> Michael
>
>Michael,
>
>If you're setting it from bash, make sure to escape the backslashes (or
>use forward slashes).  You might also have to set error_start before
>starting any Cygwin processes (if I'm wrong, someone please correct me)...

Thanks for the warning, Igor.  I set it in the .cmd file which starts my cygwin.
To make sure I just ran a test case by writing a program that crashes.  dumper started
as supposed to.  But it wrote an empty core file.... :-(

Anyway, what next to try with perl?  Could it have anything to do with threads?
I just had the problem when I tried to build perl on VMS.  Threads and 64bit stuff
wouldn't work.  Just a thought.

Michael