setup.exe: Woe is me!

Phil Bewig pbewig@swbell.net
Sun Apr 27 08:54:00 GMT 2003

On Saturday, April 26, 2003 7:28 PM, Phil Bewig [SMTP:pbewig@swbell.net] wrote:
> On Saturday, April 26, 2003 4:39 PM, Igor Pechtchanski [SMTP:pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu] wrote:

> > > Yes, correct. Setup does the extraction itself - no external programs.
> > > There's no log, because setup buffers the log entries and only writes them
> > > to disc when it exits.
> > >
> > > This is a hard problem. I'd be really interested in some of the info you
> > > could get from gdb - but since setup isn't working, you can't install gdb!
> > > Ouch.
> > >
> > > Max.
> >
> > Phil,
> >
> > Did you try the snapshot?..
> > 	Igor
> > --
> > 				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
> >       |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
> > ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor@watson.ibm.com
> >      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		Igor Pechtchanski
> >     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
> >
> > Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
> >   -- Leto II
>
> I downloaded the snapshot of setup.exe version 2.358.  Setup
> runs, calculating the MD5 checksums and giving me a screen
> to choose packages.  I did nothing on the chooser screen, just
> accepting the default installation.  Now I have a progress screen
> that indicates it is installing ash-20020731-1 /bin/sh.exe; the
> progress bar is blue all the way across, the total bar is gray all
> the way across, and the disk bar is blue about one-tenth of the
> way across, indicating over 900MB of disk space remaining on
> d:.  The screen has been sitting here unchanged for about 20
> minutes now, but still responds when I drag the title bar to move
> the window.  This is exactly the same situation I experienced
> earlier with the 2.340 version of setup.exe.
>
> I notice that there seems to be some flicker in the setup.exe
> window, as if it is being redrawn.  The flicker is intermittent,
> about every 30 seconds, when there are several brief flickers,
> then the screen is steady until the next set of flickers.  Why?
>
> I assume because the progress bar is blue all the way across
> that the sh.exe file has been extracted; is that correct?  The
> file is not present when I look at the drive contents with
> Explorer.  Can someone tell me exactly what should be
> happening at this point?
>
> I'll let this keep running and report what happens.
>
> Once again, many thanks to everyone for their kind help.
>
> Phil

Setup.exe has now been running for about 45 minutes
with no change.

I notice that something is consuming much disk space,
about 65MB of disk space since I cleaned up some
unneeded files earlier this afternoon, and about 15MB
in the last 15 minutes.  The only processes currently
active are device drivers, setup.exe, MS Outlook, and
MSIE, which has been browsing www.cygwin.com.
The firewall is active and reports two blocked attempts
to access my system while setup.exe has been
running.  Would setup.exe consume disk space at
that rate?  Why?

Thanks again,

Phil