automake, flex, libfl.a

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 25 06:18:00 GMT 2003

Al wrote:

> My problem is that I think I should be using @LEXLIB@ if my source is to be
> buildable on other platforms. So the question is, is there something unusual
> about Cygwins libfl.a that is causing my problem and hence I should know
> about? I just dont understand that error, ``not have real file''???

It's not libfl.a -- it's libtool.  Libtool policy (as of last July or
so) is to only build DLLs if all dependencies are also shared libs.
There are a number of good reasons for this; check the mailing list
archives.

Short answer: try to build flex as a shared library, or ask the
maintainer to do so.  Sometimes it's as simple as running 'autoreconf'
in the (flex) source directory...

--Chuck