Cygwin patch numbers

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Wed Apr 23 16:07:00 GMT 2003

Peter S Tillier wrote:

> However when gawk --version is executed the version number only displays
> as 3.1.2 (the GNU awk version/patch number).  Would it be possible for
> the Cygwin patch number (the -2 above) to be included in the version
> number for each tool/package please?

Even assuming the simplest case where there's just a single file
containing the displayed version number, it would still be a pain to
keep the displayed package update level part in synch with in the
package's file name.  Changing that version number usually requires
rebuilding all of the binaries in the package, but repackaging a program
is often done for reasons that don't in and of themselves require
rebuilding everything.  For example, maintainers sometimes forget to
include a file in the package.  Should they have to rebuild their whole
package just to bump the package update level?

What I'd rather see is a move to a packaging scheme like RPM that keeps
a database of files that belong to packages:

	$ rpm -qf `which gawk`
	gawk-3.1.2-2
	$

In the meantime, the cygcheck feature mentioned above seems to do what
you want.