Changing cygwin directory

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) lhall@rfk.com
Mon Apr 21 14:38:00 GMT 2003

Pierre Mallard wrote:
> Hi,
> I was used to have cygwin at C:
> And I'd like to move it to d:,
> What are the op I must do in order to make it works?
> I've already change the cygwin.bat but still it can't
> run properly :
> Here is what it prompt (after moving cygwin directory
> to d: and changing cygwin.bat file):
> bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
> bash-2.05b$
>
> He can't find sh, ls,... and I didn't succeed in
> trying to find some c: text in cygwin directory...
> Thanx for help

The recommended way of doing this is to use setup.exe.  You
should uninstall your current installation on your C: drive
and install again on your D: drive.  This will handle all the
configuration for you so that things work.  Now, that's not
to say that you can't perform these tasks yourself manually.
You just have to know what you're doing.  In your case, you
have at least forgotten to update your mount points.  It's
very easy to get yourself into a non-working state if you're
not careful.  At this point, your quickest and easiest route
back to a working Cygwin installation is to use setup.exe.