Happy Birthday (late), cgf...

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat Apr 12 08:46:00 GMT 2003

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Chris, is this what you pictured:
> <http://www.funcollections.com/_borders/secondnature/opalodie.jpg>?
> Or is this:
> <http://www.funcollections.com/_borders/secondnature/oprah.jpg>?
>
> Since Chuck obviously used one of the photos on that page as a model
> for his drawing, he could probably use another one as well.  FWIW, I
> have the second one as a stone figurine, and can probably post (or
> send privately) a few digital pics from different angles, if it's
> helpful...

Ehh, none of the other images really jumped out and grabbed me.  Oprah
looks like she's got indigestion (bad abalone?), and Odie is in the way
in Opal's picture.  Sure, I could use either as a model for another go
-- but I just =liked= Opie, so I used him for my first attempt.

(But if anybody out there has *actual* talent, then don't let me stop
you if you want to lend a hand here...)

I'll doodle another one, and see if folks like that.  If we don't end up
using the one I posted earlier, that's ok; I won't be upset.  Ditto the
next go-round, or the next -- as long as nobody is in a hurry.  I just
figured, whether we use my feeble attempts or not, at least cgf would
see AN otter logo, even if it doesn't become THE otter logo.

Heck, if eventually one of my cartoonish attempts is halfway accepted,
then at least we have *something* to show "the larger community" if we
want someone with real talent to draw a nicer version.  Think of Linus's
original 1993? sketch of a penguin, compared with today's 3d rendered
figure.

As far as other animals go, I'm drawin' otters.  cgf wants an otter, I
like otters -- end of story.  If you want a badger or wolverine or some
other member of the Mustelidae family (or even a naked mole rat or hairy
clippy), then go ahead and draw it -- I won't stop you.  If everybody
loves it, I'll cheer. (Well, maybe not for the hairy clippy...)

My only real preference (other than a prediliction for otters) is for
vector art as the primary, as opposed to bitmaps (e.g. both bitmaps I
posted were generated from a sketch (.sk) vector file).  It's SO much
easier to resize for multiple uses...

--Chuck