For The Record: HTML Email on the Internet; RFC 2557

Johann Petrak johann.petrak@chello.at
Fri Apr 11 09:22:00 GMT 2003

As I said in a previous email: some people especially on some
mailing lists consider it impolite for several reasons. If
you want to sent HTML or huge images to you friends, please
feel free to do it and sort it out with them.

But on this list, if only for humble practical reasons,
*please* refrain from doing it. Could you do us that favor?
Yes, using HTML is not against t he law, there are RFCs
describing its use etc. But on this list, there are
some people, who would rather not receive it, because it
adds bloat, is harder to use with simple text-based
clients, makes it easier for people to create ugly
or unreadable mail, and many other reasons.

It is a bit like being in a group of people of which some
speak a foreign language but all speak e.g. English.
Wouldn't you consider it impolite for the minority
(or even majority) to no use English?

So could you *please* simply accept the rules of politeness
on this list? And spare us further emails on the topic?

Johann

PS: I would suggest to put this info more prominently on
the subscription list in order to avoid future spamming
of the list with discussions about that topic.