vim quits and cygwin window contents not restored

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Apr 2 16:13:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Charles,
>
> I must be missing something.
>
> At 00:29 2003-04-02, you wrote:
> >Charles Wilson wrote:
> >>Sorry, I haven't been following this thread.  See below.
> >
> >>I'll try to figure out which parts are missing, and reinstate them --
> >>look for a new release (of terminfo-) sometime in the next week.
> >
> >Try the following.  First, save /usr/share/terminfo/c/cygwin somewhere
> >handy.  Then, download and save the attached file cygwin.terminfo, and run
> >  'tic cygwin.terminfo'
> >which will compile it and install it into your terminfo database.
>
> Since there were no attachments, I placed the text embedded in the
> message into a file named "cygwin.terminfo" and used "tic" as you
> prescribed. I get a diagnostic "Name collision between cygwin cygwin".
> I tried removing the existing terminfo entry, but the result is unchanged.
>

> >You can also hand edit /etc/termcap (back it up, first) and paste the
> >attached cygwin.termcap file into it, deleting the current definition.
>
> Then I saw this, so I figured that there are two text attachments that
> got merged into a blob of in-line text, so I took the last 20 lines
> beginning with "cygwin|ansi emulation for Cygwin:\" and gave them to
> tic, and it seems to work (tic likes it and the results reinstate
> screen context save and restore).
>
> Could you clarify what's up here? Am I the only one who didn't see attachments?
>

> >Anyway, give that a shot.  You'll note there are a lot of question
> >marks in the comments in the cygwin.terminfo file.  If anyone's
> >feeling really ambitious and likes digging thru terminfo
> >documentation, the fhandler_console.cc source code in cygwin, and
> >playing with /usr/bin/tack.exe...
> >
> >--Chuck
>
> Randall Schulz

Randall,

Since I knew a bit about termcap/terminfo formats, I figured there were
two files: tic input and a termcap entry.  The web archive inlined both
text attachments.  However, when I accessed the message from pine, it saw
both attachments separately.  I'd guess that your mailer also saw the
attachments as inline...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II