vim quits and cygwin window contents not restored

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Wed Apr 2 16:07:00 GMT 2003

Charles,

I must be missing something.

At 00:29 2003-04-02, you wrote:
>Charles Wilson wrote:
>>Sorry, I haven't been following this thread.  See below.
>
>>I'll try to figure out which parts are missing, and reinstate them --
>>look for a new release (of terminfo-) sometime in the next week.
>
>Try the following.  First, save /usr/share/terminfo/c/cygwin somewhere
>handy.  Then, download and save the attached file cygwin.terminfo, and run
>  'tic cygwin.terminfo'
>which will compile it and install it into your terminfo database.

Since there were no attachments, I placed the text embedded in the
message into a file named "cygwin.terminfo" and used "tic" as you
prescribed. I get a diagnostic "Name collision between cygwin cygwin".
I tried removing the existing terminfo entry, but the result is unchanged.

>You can also hand edit /etc/termcap (back it up, first) and paste the
>attached cygwin.termcap file into it, deleting the current definition.

Then I saw this, so I figured that there are two text attachments that
got merged into a blob of in-line text, so I took the last 20 lines
beginning with "cygwin|ansi emulation for Cygwin:\" and gave them to
tic, and it seems to work (tic likes it and the results reinstate
screen context save and restore).

Could you clarify what's up here? Am I the only one who didn't see attachments?

>Anyway, give that a shot.  You'll note there are a lot of question
>marks in the comments in the cygwin.terminfo file.  If anyone's
>feeling really ambitious and likes digging thru terminfo
>documentation, the fhandler_console.cc source code in cygwin, and
>playing with /usr/bin/tack.exe...
>
>--Chuck

Randall Schulz