cygwin license

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Wed Apr 2 15:31:00 GMT 2003

Ehud,

[ To CGF: In partial fulfillment of my assigned penance for suggesting
I would cease to use Cygwin in favor of Linux because of my fear of MS
spy-ware. ]

At 04:44 2003-04-02, you wrote:

>I'm intending to do a similar thing - to make a CD with some Cygwin
>programs and libraries and some other (proprietary) programs NOT
>linked to the Cygwin libraries. The sources for all the Cygwin
>programs and libraries will be on the same CD.

Conventional, non-legalistic wisdom is that this would be an acceptable
discharging of the GPL requirements to provide all sources necessary to
rebuild programs that include GPL-ed content.

>I thought that this satisfy the GPL and I don't have to have a license
>from Red Hat. Please confirm or correct me.

Disclaimers
- I do not work for and cannot speak for Redhat
- I am not a lawyer
- Pointing to this mail will not serve as a defense if following this
so-called advice gets you in trouble.

You may safely ignore me.

I will leave it to others to comment on the technical merits of using
Cygwin without its intended installation and setup procedures.

>Ehud.

Randall Schulz