vim quits and cygwin window contents not restored

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Apr 2 14:21:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Charles Wilson wrote:
> > Sorry, I haven't been following this thread.  See below.
>
> > I'll try to figure out which parts are missing, and reinstate them --
> > look for a new release (of terminfo-) sometime in the next week.
>
> Try the following.  First, save /usr/share/terminfo/c/cygwin somewhere
> handy.  Then, download and save the attached file cygwin.terminfo, and run
>   'tic cygwin.terminfo'
> which will compile it and install it into your terminfo database.
>
> You can also hand edit /etc/termcap (back it up, first) and paste the
> attached cygwin.termcap file into it, deleting the current definition.
>
> Anyway, give that a shot.  You'll note there are a lot of question marks
> in the comments in the cygwin.terminfo file.  If anyone's feeling really
> ambitious and likes digging thru terminfo documentation, the
> fhandler_console.cc source code in cygwin, and playing with
> /usr/bin/tack.exe...

Chuck,

This works for me (Win2k SP2 console).  Vim restores the original screen
on exit, suspend, and command execution.  FYI, this also fixes the "vim
window title" problem, reported in
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg02264.html>.  Thanks!
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II