Setup window size: a suggestion

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Sep 28 11:43:00 GMT 2002

Garth,

FYI: Setup currently uses a set of static resource files for its dialogs.
The setup developers have adopted a model where all the dialogs have the
same size, and are drawn in the same window (IIRC, I may be mistaken).

You seem to have some experience with this kind of programming.  Why not
check out the setup sources from cvs (see
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html for instructions) and try
to make a patch?  If this works, I'm sure it would be widely appreciated
by the community... :-D
	Igor

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Garth Dahlstrom wrote:

> [was Re: RFE - Cygwin setup.exe]
>
> My appolgies, seems folks have started thread on this already...
>
> I see 2 ways to overcome the issue of the resizable installer/
> package selection dialog size:
>
> Option 1) add a button to the bottom of the package selection screen
> that says 'Zoom' and make it open only the packages selection
> related stuff in a new modal window that is bigger/resizable.
>
> Option 2) rework the whole setup program to be resizable, this
> can be done using a lot of panels that are aligned something like
> this (I've done this in Delphi before):
> +-Form1 --------------------+
> |+-P1-alTop----------------+|
> ||+P3-alClient-++P2-alRight||
> ||| "Choose..."|| [Icon]  |||
> ||+------------++---------+||
> |+-------------------------+|
> |+-P6-alClient-------------+|
> ||                         ||
> || () Install from Internet||
> || () DL from Internet     ||
> || () Install from Localdir||
> ||                         ||
> |+-------------------------+|
> |+-P4-alBottom-------------+|
> ||              +P5-alRight||
> ||              |[buttons]|||
> ||              +---------+||
> |+-------------------------+|
> +---------------------------+
> Px is TPanel type, where x is the creation order using a gui.
> alxxxx is the Align property of the Tpanel object.
>
> If I had to choose, I would do option 1 cause it is really
> easy, and I'm lazy.  option 2 would be quite a bit more rework
> to the way things are I should think.
>
> -Garth
>
> Northern.CA ===--
> http://www.northern.ca
> Canada's Search Engine
>
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2002 10:57:16 -0400 (EDT) Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >
> > Garth,
> >
> > You may start by searching the cygwin and cygwin-apps mailing lists
> > archives for "resizable setup"...
> >       Igor
>

> --

				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51