Lost /bin/latex?

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Wed Sep 25 19:43:00 GMT 2002

Igor,

At 17:07 2002-09-25, you wrote:
>This is probably due to the fact that usr/bin/readlink.exe and
>usr/man/man1/readlink.1 were included (erroneously, I guess) in the
>tetex-bin-20020530-3 distribution, instead of listing a dependency on
>cygutils.  The new distrib corrects that problem, but uninstalling the old
>one resulted in losing readlink.  As this is not something that can be
>fixed in the tetex package, people will probably just have to reinstall
>cygutils.

All well and good (and now that you mention it, I think I remember reading
about this glitch a while back), but doesn't that create a bit of a
catch-22 for the tetex post-install script when it attempts to invoke
readlink? How is it possible to get that to run correctly? Must I reinstall
cygutils (obviously yes) and then also reinstall tetex?

Well, I tried that, and to the best of my ability to scan the stuff
whizzing by in the post-install script's window, the diagnostic about a
missing readlink did not appear. It seems that the overall impression of
the post-install activity as it flashed before my eyes was rather different
than what I remember from upgrading tetex earlier today. I wonder how
critical that readlink is to the overall activity and success of the tetex
post-install script(s)?

All's well that ends... I guess.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA