gcc specs file format

Michael A Chase mchase@ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 21 20:33:00 GMT 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 19:42:26 -0700 "Paul D. DeRocco" <pderocco@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but I don't see it. I grepped all the gcc.info* files (indeed, all
> the *.info* files) for "specs", and read the matches in my editor. I found a
> bunch of mentions of the specs file, but no explanation of it.

> > From: Christopher Faylor
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 10:51:40AM -0700, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> > >The GNUPro Compiler Tools document mentions this file, and the
> > >gcc -dumpspecs option shows me what's in it. But where is its format
> > >documented? It's quite incomprehensible on its own.
> >
> > In the gcc info file: "info gcc" .

I found a pretty detailed explanation inside 'info gcc' by typing
'g Spec Files'.  There's a link to it as part of the description of
-dumpspecs.  I have gcc 3.2 installed, but the text looks like it's been
around since at least 2.9.5.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html