init_cygheap::etc_changed: Can't open /etc for checking, Win32 error

Christopher Faylor cgf-cygwin@cygwin.com
Tue Sep 17 11:23:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 10:22:07AM +0200, Christian Koessel wrote:
>In the meantime I took a look at the cygwin sources and I found the
>reason for the error:
>
>On Sep 09 2001 the etc_changed()-function was added to cygheap.cc. Its
>purpose is to detect a change to the group or passwd files while cygwin
>is running and it seems to be called every time when rights have to be
>checked. This is achieved by using the Win32
>FindFirstChangeNotification() method which monitors a directory (here
>/etc) for changes. The function is called with the
>FILE_NOTIFY_CHANGE_LAST_WRITE option.
>The problem is that this function does not work on drives with a non
>NTFS file system and returns INVALID_HANDLE. This leads to the error
>message 'init_cygheap::etc_changed: Can't open /etc for checking, Win32
>error 2'. After this the function returns 0, which means that there was
>no change to /etc.

The function works on non-NTFS filesystems.  You, yourself, noted that
it works on directories exported from a Samba server.  It also works on
Windows 9x which doesn't natively understand NTFS filesystems.

It apparently doesn't work on a Novell netware drive.  That's been noted
repeatedly here.  It sounds like a netware bug to me.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .