Files transfer question

Stephen Liu satimis@writeme.com
Tue Sep 17 04:38:00 GMT 2002

Hi David,

Thanks for your response.

My requirement is only for files transfer betwenn WinXP and "cygwin" not
via another software.  Before I made use of Samba to do the job.  Currently
I make use of Internet to help me, dispatching the file as attachment to an
email from WinXP to myself and download it on Linux and vice versa.  The
max size of file allowed is 10MB.  It is quite sufficient for me.  But I am
looking for some other alternatives, if possible.

At 09:40 AM 2002/9/17 +0200, David Fraser wrote:
- snip -
>On the other hand you may not have rights to set up such stuff on the
>LTSP server. Then what you could use
>is a once-off copy between the machines. For this you could use a huge
>number of different tools. I would recommend
>using scp (secure copy) which is available in cygwin from the openssh
>package or in linux. You can also set it up to
>automatically authenticate using public keys so you don't have to enter
>the password each time. Example syntax:
>(from cygwin)  scp stephen@ltsp.computer:~/officedocument.xls ./mycopy.xls
>You probably want to set up the sshd server as a service if you want to
>do it the otherway round
>(from linux)   scp ~/officedocument.xls
>stephen@windows.computer:/cygdrive/c/temp/mycopy.xls
>Other tools you could use include ftp etc

I will take a look on 'scp'.  Is it on "cygwin.com" website?  But I could
not find this package there.  What is the correct name of this package?

Thanks

Stephen