Setup window size: a suggestion

Pavel Tsekov ptsekov@gmx.net
Mon Sep 9 02:04:00 GMT 2002

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On 9 Sep 2002, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 04:14, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > > On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> >
> > > But isn't that exactly what my suggestion will allow to avoid?  If the
> > > window size is pre-selected (in fact, with a command-line option, you may
> > > even know it before any windows are created), dynamic resizing is not an
> > > issue.  The window will still be non-resizeable, but will have a different
> > > (fixed) size depending on the option.  This could possibly be accomplished
> > > by having multiple property sheet definitions and choosing the correct one
> > > at run-time (I'm not too up-to-date on windows programming, so please
> > > correct me if I'm wrong).
> >
> > We have command line option support, so adding a integer pair grabber
> > isn't a big deal. I'll let Gary answer as to the overhead multiple
> > window defs would incur (He's the w32 GUI wizzard :] ).
> > I suspect that knowing the size in advance doesn't help much, as we
> > still have the resizing logic to manage on all the pages.
>
> What resizing logic?  I thought that if the size is fixed, the positions
> of all the elements of a dialog window are determined in advance, even at
> compile time...  And that it was just a question of choosing one of the
> pre-compiled layouts at runtime, when the size is determined...  My

Yes, the size is. It is determined by values specified in the resource
script for the size of each of the the wizard pages.

We can create several different sets of pages but that would mean that
setup have to present a size chooser dialog on startup and than create the
wizard with the approapriate page size or use a command line option
instead of size chooser dialog. This, IMO, is not user-friendly:

a) either the user have to type at the command line (or modify a shortcut)
   when all he wants is a graphical setup.

b) or have to choose from the size chooser dialog box which (1) has
   nothing to do with the purpose of setup.exe and (2) has the drawback of
   showing one dialog box than hiding that and showing another. This kinda
   breaks the feel of a single process or whatever :)

To simplify this task setup can detect the current video mode at startup
by itself and choose the proper size of the pages by himself.