gvimdiff fails on network drive

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri Oct 25 12:23:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Shing-Fat Fred Ma wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using cygwin-1.3.12-4 on WinME.  I'm
> using gvim 6.0 to diff a pair of files residing
> on a mounted network drive i.e. /SomeUser
> is a mount pointing to \\RemoteSunBox\SomeUser.
> Read/write access to /SomeUser is no problem.
> Using "gvim -d" on localfiles is no problem.
> But using "gvim -d" on files residing on /SomeUser
> generates the error E97 (can't create diff files).
>
> I thought it might be a path name problem,
> though both invocations would use unix
> style path names.  But just to see, I tried
> putting this in _vimrc (courtesy Machitani-san):
>
> > if has("unix")
> >   set shell=/bin/bash
> > elseif has("win32")
> > " set shell=c:/cygwin/bin/bash
> >   set shell=c:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash.exe
> >   set shellcmdflag=-c
> >   set shellpipe=2>&1\|\ tee
> >   set shellslash
> > endif
>
> But the problem persisted.  Just as a note,
> my gvim is invoked by the bash function
>
> {
>     ( unset SHELL;
>     /c/Program\ Files/vim/vim60/gvim $* ) &
> }
>
> because gvim's diff *never* worked prior
> to the "unset SHELL".
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Fred

gvim is not a Cygwin application, and thus does not understand Cygwin
mounts or unix-style paths.

Try changing your gvim function as suggested in
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-10/msg00179.html and see if it
helps.  BTW, this came up as one of the first matches in a search for
"gvim" on this mailing list (October archive).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51